Tuesday 20 May 2014

Happy 16th Birthday - A Letter to My Eldest Child

Dearest Connor,
Today you turn sixteen, I can't quite believe this is actually happening.  I seem to have blinked and you grew taller than me.  Every year passes and you continue to amaze me with your maturity and attitude to life. Nothing seems to faze you, everyday is taken in it's stride.  There have been moments when you have not been so confident but soon accepted life isn't always fair or that some things happen without rhyme or reason.  

Over the years you have been an immense support to me, taking care of and helping your younger brother and sisters, especially when Dad worked away.  The role of big brother is one that suits you and you have taken on this huge responsibility with ease.  I am immensely grateful for your help and still cherish the time you readily assisted Jack and Lucy when Amber was a tiny baby, making sure they bruished their teeth. There are many more moments to be cherished and far too many to mention, but that is one that has remained very clear in my memory.

Now you are sixteen life will take on even more responsibility, your first weekend job, studying for your A levels, learning to drive, applying for uni.  But never forget to enjoy life too.  Remember to take time to enjoy the moment, creating your own memories to take into adult life.  These next two years offer many amazing experiences before you are expected to be a bit more grown up, taking a degree, managing your own money to pay your rent on time.  Be sure to enjoy every moment!

So with a huge amount of happiness and pride I wish you a very happy sixteenth birthday.  You are amazing and I am very honoured to be your mum.

Love always,
Mum
xo

No comments:

Post a Comment